Monday, April 13, 2009

Who Knows The Boy From Ipanema?

For my surprise I was introduced a few days ago to The Boy From Ipanema by a Canadian, the renowned jazz pianist and singer Diana Krall. I didn`t know that the most famous Brazilian song – The Girl From Ipanema – has a version for women to sing about a handsome Brazilian boy and its swing.

My surprise was even bigger when I looked for the title on Youtube and found Ella Fitzgerald singing it! Krall recorded this classic of Tom Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes for her new album, Quiet Nights, which is the English title of another Brazilian tune, Corcovado. She even took a big risk singing Este Seu Olhar (also by Jobim) in Portuguese, which was criticized by some Brazilian specialized media. Despite that – and, by the way, I don`t really appreciated most of the critics, like or dislike art is something that I believe is very particular - I was very glad to know that a contemporaneous top jazz artist in the world did this homage to Brazilian music. And I really liked the result.

A DVD is about to be released next month with the show she presented in November of last year in Rio to celebrate the 50 years of Bossa Nova. If you want to have a taste of her breathy and beautiful vocal and astonishing talent on the piano in this new work, here we go:



Enjoy it and leave a comment about her performance, also if you had the chance to be at her new show.